Want a simple Taste of Folk College?
Here is your opportunity! Come spend a glorious musical day with Simple Gifts, Richard Sleigh, and friends, jamming, hearing music, and getting a one-day taste of Folk College.
DATE: Saturday, January 4, 2020
TIME: 3pm to 10pm but drop by anytime
LOCATION: American Philatelic Society, 100 Match Factory Place, Bellefonte, PA (near State College).
COST: FREE! (with donations gratefully accepted)
• a fun party with lots of jamming
• an opportunity for people who haven't been to Folk College and Greenwood Furnace Folk Gathering to see what it's about in a free 1-day event
• a fantastic event for people who play an instrument, people who wish they played an instrument, and people who just like to listen
• 3:30 pm - singing jam, instrumental jam, intro to blues, ear training, try a ukulele (instruments provided)
• 4:30 pm - singing jam, instrumental jam, beginners' jam, beginning harmonica (inexpensive harmonicas for sale), Basque tunes
• 5:30 pm - potluck, open mic, concert with Simple Gifts and Richard Sleigh
• 7:30 - more jams of many styles, music theory
• 10 pm - cleanup and good-byes
Here is a link to a printed copy of the schedule below:
Workshops led by Simple Gifts, Richard Sleigh, Holly Foy, Betsy Gamble, Scott Elkins, Susan Bowser, RB Powell, Bridget Allen, Jeremy Gamble, Cathy Petrissans, Ken Sharp, Michelle Katz
WHY YOU'LL LOVE IT!
• Multiple jam rooms with many styles and levels - great for both playing and listening!
• A great place to learn to jam with others - whether you're a beginning or more experienced jammer.
• Swap tunes: learn new ones, get new audiences for your favorites!
• Afternoon workshops give beginners the basics, and help experienced players learn more
• Hang out with musicians, socialize, network (“Where’d you get that tuner?” “What kind of strings do you use?” “What instrument is THAT?”)
• Ever heard a cello play folk music? Ever tried a hammered dulcimer or a bowed psaltery? This could be your chance!
WHAT TO BRING:
• Your friends and family. Everyone is welcome!
• Instruments of course, and if you're shy about playing with others, bring your instrument anyhow.
• A dish to share for the potluck meal
MORE ABOUT THE POTLUCK:
• We'll provide beverages and paper products. Sorry, no alcohol is allowed.
• We'll have places for crock pots or anything you want to plug in.
• There are no refrigerators, no microwave, no oven, so please bring a dish ready to serve.
• Please bring a serving utensil for your dish, and label dish and utensil with your name.